VHP Package Compliance In Canada
Food and Drugs Act and Regulations outline the requirements and rules for Veterinary Health Products labelling in Canada. The principal display panel must have the statement “Veterinary Health Product” in English and French. Other label requirements include:
- Dosage form must be stated only if it’s not apparent.
- Notification Number (NN) must appear on the principal display panel.
- Other details require the name and address of the manufacturer (notifier).
- Mention lot number, expiry date, directions of use and, allergen statements
- Bilingual nutrition facts table, units of measure (if required)
- Quantity of each active ingredient per dosage unit, net amount
- Label also contains a list of excipient (non-medicinal) ingredients
- Inclusion of contact information for adverse reactions is a must on the label.
In case of a non-Canadian company, a Canadian representative and the name and address of a Canadian importer must be added (if they are different). You will qualify nutrient claims (eg. low in saturated fat, high in protein, etc.), depending on your nutrient profile as per the Nutrition Facts Table.